National Arts and Humanities Month, October 2007
[Katy, Texas]—ARTreach joins hundreds of arts organizations and communities across the nation in celebrating National Arts and Humanities Month throughout October. ARTreach honors the efforts of artists, historians, and cultural groups working to make the arts and humanities a part of everyone’s life.
Robert L. Lynch, president and CEO of Americans for the Arts and national coordinator of Arts and Humanities month, says, “Everyone recognizes the creative and cultural value of the arts and humanities. National Arts and Humanities Month offers us a chance to celebrate the often overlooked economic, educational, and civic engagement values that the arts impart in our daily lives.”
Everyone in the community is encouraged to participate in what has become this country’s largest annual collective celebration of the arts and humanities. Below is a list of some of special events planned for National Arts and Humanities Month by ARTreach in Katy, Texas.
- October 13- 14- Katy ARTreach at the Katy Rice Harvest Festival Community Art Projects
- ARTreach Night Out- Stay safe and off the streets! Teens looking for creative things to do, are invited to hang out and paint. Ceramics by Tess is a studio ARTreach partner supporting safe and drug free communities by staying open late and offering a positive atmosphere, discounts and special projects to high school and junior high school students every Friday and Saturday night. Open late until 11:00 p.m. Pizza can be delivered! Located in the Times Square shopping center off I-10 and 99.
- October 21- Katy ARTreach Gala at Don McGill Toyota of Katy 5:00-9:00 p.m.
- October 22- Community ARTreach Partnerships present URGEWORKS- The Mathematics of Hip Hop to the students at Rhoads Elementary. Students at Rhoads will be treated to cultural arts entertainment that supports self esteem, self awareness and the Texas Essential Knowledge Skills associated with Math and Language Arts. Program sponsored by Extreme Technologies, Inc.
- October 23,24,26- Katy and Fort Bend ARTreach and Young Audiences of Houston are joining forces to bring a series of innovative art and music making workshops to the youth in the Fort Bend County Detention Center. Featured artist this month is Joseph Dixon.
- Mentoring through Art at the Delta Boot Camp- October is the month that will introduce new mentors to the youth in the Delta Boot Camp. ARTreach Mentoring through Art program combines Crossroads Partnership for Youth mentors and volunteers from Copperfield Baptist Church to bring the arts to youth in need every week. Other churches and volunteer groups are invited to participate in this and other Mentoring through Art programs being initiated by ARTreach.
- October 23 and October 30- 10:00 a.m. Sunrise Assisted Living Community is hosting ARTreach’s unique Expressive Arts for Personal Growth - Workshops for Senior Citizens facilitated by artist Lorena Fernandez, M.A. Community members who are interested may join the workshops RSVP to Shannon email@example.com
- Oct 30- Cinco Ranch Golf Club 6:30 p.m. - Cinco Ranch Ladies Club is hosting Katy ARTreach and a presentation by URGEWORKS. This program is open to all CRLC members and their guests and will demonstrate the positive hip hop movement and the impact urban arts can have on our youth today.
- October 31- International ARTreach – this is our second international outreach “Hope and Education through the Arts” (HEART).
This month Vickie McMillan of Katy ARTreach/Woodlands ARTreach will be going to the Philippines to present art demonstrations in the schools and villages that will bring hope and inspiration through the arts to hundreds in this region. Vickie piloted this ARTreach program as part of her church mission to Uganda in July and experienced great success in communicating hope and a positive vision for the future through the shared language of art. ARTreach is accepting donations to support ARTreach through church missions to the Philippines and other third world countries. Please call 281-392-5341.
- November 15th- mark the calendar for an upcoming event that combines the Cultural Arts and Hertiage in Katy- The public is invited to the Katy Hertiage Park and the Tradition Bank Grandstand at 6:30 p.m. to see John Keahey perform a classic theater history presentation called “The Soldiers of the Texas Revolution”. This presentation is sponsored by Young Audiences of Houston and ARTreach and supports the effort to advance the cultural arts and heritage in Katy and the work being done through the Katy Hertiage Society. www.katyhertiagesociety.com
National Arts and Humanities Month is coordinated by Americans for the Arts, the national organization working to empower communities with the resources and support necessary to provide access to all of the arts for all of the people. Katy ARTreach was founded in 2003 with a mission to bring the arts to the underprivileged and underserved communities and is a featured member of the Americans for the Arts.
More information about National Arts and Humanities Month is available online at www.AmericansForTheArts.org/nahm